About the Journal
Pakistan Journal of Women’s Studies: Alam-e-Niswan is a refereed interdisciplinary journal which aims at disseminating and sharing women’s studies research and feminist scholarship globally. The Journal publishes articles relating to scholarship in the field of Women’s Studies and feminist knowledge. The editorial board welcomes a variety of contributions that focus on women’s experience, gender issues, and feminist theory and consciousness. We publish academic/creative writing, artwork, reports from the activist, that are critical, scholarly, and offer fresh perspectives on issues faced by a civil society.
The second part of our name Alam-e-Niswan (Arabic-Farsi phrase) means women’s world and shows our commitment to remain constantly engaged in dialogue with women globally and not to remain restricted either by political disputes or by geographical boundaries. Over the years, Pakistan Journal of Women’s Studies has not only remained committed to its goal of generating and disseminating interdisciplinary scholarship but it has also participated in global conversations and has made alliances with similar journals world-wide.
Pakistan Journal of Women’s Studies is the Journal of Pakistan Association for Women’s Studies.
Pakistan Journal of Women's Studies: Alam-e-Niswan is published twice a year by Pakistan Association for Women's Studies (PAWS). PAWS, its friends and supporters believed that to encourage analytic responses to feminist issues and to make connections between the newly established Women's Studies discipline at the University of Karachi and Women's Studies world-wide we must have a scholarly journal. Our deliberations and discussions convinced us that this journal should act as a bridge between the activists and the academics. The first issue of the Pakistan Journal of Women’s Studies: Alam-e-Niswan appeared in 1994.
Pakistan Journal of Women’s Studies wishes not just to document women’s experiences locally but globally so that women collectively could work for peace, justice and equity. It is an interdisciplinary journal which aims at disseminating and sharing women’s studies research and feminist scholarship globally.
Major Objectives of Pakistan Journal of Women’s Studies are:
- To create, strengthen and disseminate information and knowledge about and for women globally.
- To establish a network between women, researchers, lobbyists, and policy planners.
To act as a catalyst in society at large and to bring about the empowerment of women and hence the transformation of the society.
- To critique and reassess the process of gaining and disseminating knowledge.
Pakistan Journal of Women’s Studies publishes:
- Interdisciplinary research in the field of Women’s Studies.
- Conceptual and analytical writings on themes related to women’s status and role.
- Research on curricula, course outlines, reading lists, and teaching strategies related to the discipline of Women’s Studies.
- Reviews of books, films and theatrical performances.
- Reports on national and international conferences, symposia and workshops on Women’s Studies and Feminist pedagogy.
- Creative work, particularly poems, short stories and art.
- PJWS welcomes submissions of autobiographical notes from women who have a story to share with us.
- Work reports of activists and grass-root development workers are welcome.
Articles published in PJWS do not necessarily represent the views of the publisher and of the Editor or the Editorial Board. Authors alone are responsible for the opinions expressed and for the accuracy of the data contained in their articles.
Editorial correspondence, including manuscripts for submission, should be addressed to the Editor at the Journal’s mailing address.
Books for review should be sent to the Journal’s mailing address in Karachi.
Business correspondence, including orders and remittance relating to subscriptions and back issues, should be addressed to the publisher.